- Must be age 18 or older at the time of the program departure.
- Open to undergraduate, graduate, honors and non-degree seeking students from all academic disciplines.
- Preference is given to students from KIIS Member Institutions, but we welcome applicants from other U.S. colleges and universities, working professional or retirees.
To be eligible to participate on a KIIS program, you must have a minimum cumulative GPA below:
- 2.0 GPA for Summer and Winter programs
- 2.75 GPA for Semester programs
- 3.2 GPA for Honors courses
As part of the KIIS application process, you are required to submit your most recent undergraduate or graduate transcript.
- First Semester Freshmen college students may submit a copy of your high school transcript if you do not yet have a college GPA. As soon as your first college semester is complete, you will upload a copy of your college transcript.
- Working Professionals or Retirees may be exempt from submitting a college transcript for undergraduate course credit. An official transcript is required for Graduate course credit. Contact Maria Canning for questions.
You must take at least one 3 credit hour course during a Summer or Winter program for academic credit (Summer participants may take up to 6 credit hours.). You are required to take at least 12 credit hours if applying for a Semester program.
Students on academic or disciplinary probation at their home institution are not permitted to participate on KIIS study abroad programs.
The majority of KIIS courses are taught in English.
Only six KIIS programs require students to take foreign language courses. Those programs include:
- Munich Summer
- Paris II Summer
- Spain I Summer
- Spain II Summer
- Germany Spring Semester
- Spain Spring Semester
All other KIIS programs have no language requirement although several programs offer optional language courses (i.e. Costa Rica, Japan, Merida Mexico, Morocco).
Most KIIS courses do not have prerequisites, with the exception of upper level language courses.
Honors Credit: To receive Honors course credit, you must have at least a 3.2 GPA or higher.
Graduate Credit: To enroll in Graduate courses, you must complete your Bachelor’s degree by the end of the semester preceding your KIIS program (e.g. by end of Spring semester if you are participating on a KIIS Summer program).
“The true value of the experience isn’t only what you see. The hidden worth of your experience returns with you in unexpected ways. It can be a new appreciation for corner coffee shops, new confidence in riding the subway or learning to communicate using charades. The adventure doesn’t end when you get on the plane to come home, instead it opens the door to a new and less far away world.”
-Shaleena Ross, Argentina