Thank you for your interest in the Kentucky Institute for International Studies (KIIS). We are a faculty-driven organization dedicated to providing exceptional— and affordable— international education programs for students from diverse backgrounds. Each year, approximately 550 students and 80 faculty participate on KIIS programs.
- A broad selection of high-quality and affordable study abroad programs for students.
- Each year, KIIS awards over $75,000 in student scholarships.
- Faculty from Full-Member Institutions may apply to teach on KIIS programs.
- Faculty are indemnified against liability.
- Medical insurance and security evacuation for all student and faculty participants.
- The knowledge, support and experience of the KIIS office.
A university/college may join KIIS for $3,000 per year. The annual $3,000 membership fee is largely returned to each Member Institution in the following way:
- $500 KIIS Promotional Allowance
- $1,000 Disability Accommodation Fund (a fund the KIIS office manages)
- $1,500 KIIS Member Student Scholarship
Students at full-member institutions are eligible for all KIIS scholarships (Dr. Meg & Barry Brown Summer Scholarship, Joseph C. Hess Memorial Scholarship, Program Scholarships, Apply Early & Save $100 Discount). Faculty at full-member institutions are eligible to teach on KIIS Summer and Winter programs.
The Kentucky Institute for International Studies, Inc. (KIIS) is a nonprofit consortium (incorporated as a nonprofit corporation) of colleges and universities.
“Writer Anne Dillard says, “Unless I call my attention to what passes before my eyes, I simply won’t see it.” Much education forces on students undigested bits of information. Study abroad, by contrast, opens your mind to ideas in the contexts in which they originated. Ideas-in-places have long lasting effects.”
– Paul Ranieri, Ball State University English Professor, KIIS Greece Faculty